PURPOSE: To describe and demonstrate the feasibility of early ligature of the renal artery using a direct access to the renal pedicle at the level of the Treitz ligament during left transperitoneal radical laparoscopic nephrectomy. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A total of 42 patient underwent left transperitoneal radical laparoscopic nephrectomies from February 2001 to July 2004. In the first consecutive 27 patients (Group A) we performed early ligature with the standard technique; in the last consecutive 15 patients (Group B) we attempted the early ligature with direct access to the renal artery at the level of the Treitz ligament. Comparative analysis was carried out between the two groups examining operative times, blood loss, intra and post operative complications, postoperative stay. RESULTS: No difference was noted in gender, age and size of the lesions (6.2 versus 6.25 cm respectively, p = 0.9) in the two groups. In 12/15 (80%) of Group B cases we successfully identified and ligated the renal artery at the level of the Treitz ligament. In the other 3 cases (20%) we were constrained to revert to the more common laparoscopic approach. Mean Operative times were 131' in group A versus 137' in group B (p = 0.15). The time required to find the renal artery at the level of Treitz ligament in group B was 16' (15'-30'). No differences were noted between the two groups in terms of blood loss (222 cc versus 268 ml, p = 0.4), intraoperative and postoperative complications (p = 0.6), postoperative stay (5 days in the two groups, p = 0.9). Mean follow-up was average 24 months (15-48) in Group A and average 7 months (3-12) in Group B. No complications and no recurrence of disease at CT evaluation were recorded neither in Group A nor in Group B. CONCLUSIONS: Radical laparoscopic left side nephrectomy with direct access to the renal artery at the level the Treitz ligament is technically feasible and safe and reproduces the classic principles of radical nephrectomy allowing to perform the procedure without any manipulation of the tumor.

Direct access to the renal artery at the level of treitz ligament during left radical laparoscopic transperitoneal nephrectomy

SCARPA, ROBERTO MARIO
2005-01-01

Abstract

PURPOSE: To describe and demonstrate the feasibility of early ligature of the renal artery using a direct access to the renal pedicle at the level of the Treitz ligament during left transperitoneal radical laparoscopic nephrectomy. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A total of 42 patient underwent left transperitoneal radical laparoscopic nephrectomies from February 2001 to July 2004. In the first consecutive 27 patients (Group A) we performed early ligature with the standard technique; in the last consecutive 15 patients (Group B) we attempted the early ligature with direct access to the renal artery at the level of the Treitz ligament. Comparative analysis was carried out between the two groups examining operative times, blood loss, intra and post operative complications, postoperative stay. RESULTS: No difference was noted in gender, age and size of the lesions (6.2 versus 6.25 cm respectively, p = 0.9) in the two groups. In 12/15 (80%) of Group B cases we successfully identified and ligated the renal artery at the level of the Treitz ligament. In the other 3 cases (20%) we were constrained to revert to the more common laparoscopic approach. Mean Operative times were 131' in group A versus 137' in group B (p = 0.15). The time required to find the renal artery at the level of Treitz ligament in group B was 16' (15'-30'). No differences were noted between the two groups in terms of blood loss (222 cc versus 268 ml, p = 0.4), intraoperative and postoperative complications (p = 0.6), postoperative stay (5 days in the two groups, p = 0.9). Mean follow-up was average 24 months (15-48) in Group A and average 7 months (3-12) in Group B. No complications and no recurrence of disease at CT evaluation were recorded neither in Group A nor in Group B. CONCLUSIONS: Radical laparoscopic left side nephrectomy with direct access to the renal artery at the level the Treitz ligament is technically feasible and safe and reproduces the classic principles of radical nephrectomy allowing to perform the procedure without any manipulation of the tumor.
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12610/9216
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 3
  • Scopus 13
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 8
social impact